In order to comprehend a globally interconnected world, and to succeed in it, a high quality education in political science and international relations is an excellent point of departure. The mission of the Department is to provide students with such an education. The aim is to facilitate independent and critical thinking necessary for leadership and to equip students with strategic skills that will enable to take advantage of opportunities in the world of politics, business, media, and international organizations.
On completion of the programme the student will be able to:
1) Read, understand, and write on issues of political science and international relations.
2) Identify actors, structures, processes and complex interactions of politics, international relations and diplomacy.
3) Analyze regional, national, international, trans-national issues.
4) Attain competency in contemporary social science research including qualitative and quantitative tools.
5) Adopt a multi-disciplinary perspective.
6) Discuss and implement major theories of political science and international relations
7) Formulate policy options in case specific analyses.
8) Have critical thinking on concepts, arguments and key issues.
9) Write sound papers and conduct relevant presentations from readings and research findings.
10) Become ready to engage in professional, academic and civil life.
Course assessment usually comprises of a comprehensive final exam and continuous assessment. Continuous assessment can include amongst others, mid-terms, projects, and class participation.
Letter grades are calculated based on the weight of the final exam and the continuous assessment and the actual numerical marks obtained in these two assessment components. Based on the course grades the student’s semester grade point average (GPA) and cumulative point average (CPA) are calculated.
The students studying in architecture program are required to have a Cumulative Grade Points Average (Cum. GPA) of not less than 2.00/4.00 and no grades lower than “D” with minimum 120 credits (240 ECTS).
Situated in the Alayköy Campus, a central and picturesque area of Nicosia, the Department of Political Science and International Relations aims to provide the perfect studying environment for students with many extra-curricular activities and present the chance to study in the fields mentioned above by a highly skilled staff. The students also find the opportunity to regularly interact with politicians, experts from think tanks, NGOs, journalists, and advisors by helping out and attending in the many conferences and events the department organises. In a very heterogeneous, multicultural, and globally mixed student environment, with the added opportunities of travelling abroad, the department aims to enhance the learning process for prospective students.
The application process for studying Political Science and International Relations at BAU Cyprus is very easy. You can simply and safely share your personal information through our online application platform. After receiving a confirmation email with a link a copy of the following documents can be uploaded:
Passport or EU identity card
High school diploma certificate with transcript. Please also submit an official translation of the diploma and transcript into English if they are in another language.
University certificate with transcript (if applicable). Please also submit an official translation of the diploma and transcript into English if they are in another language.
English language test certificate
Portfolio PDF with a minimum of 10 works
Potential professional environments include:
Private sector, positions in multinational companies, diplomatic corps, state departments, international organizations, civil society organizations.