In order to comprehend a globally interconnected world, and to succeed in it, a high quality education in political science and international relations is an excellent point of departure. The mission of the Department is to provide students with such an education. The aim is to facilitate independent and critical thinking necessary for leadership and to equip students with strategic skills that will enable them to takeadvantage of opportunities in the world of politics, business, media, and international organizations.
The proposed program consists of ten courses and project with a total of 30 (90 ECTS) credits. Three of the ten courses offered within the program are compulsory and the other seven courses are electives.
On completion of the programme the student will be able to:
1) To examine knowledge and skills acquired with understanding the interaction between other disciplines in the interdisciplinary dimension.
2) Have the social, scientific, and ethical values under any circumstances related to the field of International Relations and Politics in data collection, interpretation, and dissemination stages.
3) Have the knowledge of the political, economic, and juridical foundation of the state.
4) To develop and deepen the information level of expertise Master’s Degree on the basis of qualifications at the Political Science and International Relations Program.
5) Have a critical perspective on concepts, arguments, and current issues.
6) To examine and evaluate countries and regions at the international level which are embedded in practical and theoretical knowledge.
7) Evaluated to be critical of a variety of security issues, strategies, and practical consequences in the international arena.
8) Have a good formation of the social sciences.
9) Have the knowledge of the nation state to the present day about geographical, institutional, structural, conceptual, and theoretical development of the international relations.
10) Have the knowledge of foreign policy formation and decision-making process.
Course assessment usually comprises of a comprehensive final exam and continuous assessment. Continuous assessment can include amongst others, mid-terms, projects, and class participation.
Letter grades are calculated based on the weight of the final exam and the continuous assessment and the actual numerical marks obtained in these two assessment components. Based on the course grades the student’s semester grade point average (GPA) and cumulative point average (CPA) are calculated.
To graduate students must have at least 30 credits (90 ECTS) and have successfully completed their project studies. Students are required to have a Cumulative Grade Points Average (Cum. GPA) of not less than 3.00/4.00, and no grades below “C”.
Situated in the Alayköy Campus, a central and picturesque area of Nicosia, the Department of Political Science and International Relations aims to provide the perfect studying environment for students with many extra-curricular activities and present the chance to study in the fields mentioned above by a highly skilled staff. The students also find the opportunity to regularly interact with politicians, experts from think tanks, NGOs, journalists and advisors by helping out and attending in the many conferences and events the department organises. In a very heterogeneous, multicultural, and globally mixed student environment the department aims to enhance the learning process for prospective students.
The application process for studying at BAU Cyprus is very easy. You can simply and safely share your personal information through our online application platform. After receiving a confirmation email with a link a copy of the following documents can be uploaded:
For more information, please use the menu item Admission or the link could be used to reach the Admissions page.
Potential professional environments include:
Graduates of the program can pursue a career in the field of diplomacy, they can work in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the countries of which they are citizens. Graduates who want to advance in the field of bureaucracy can work in other government departments in positions that require expertise in political science or international relations. Apart from that, the graduates can work in the United Nations, Amnesty International etc. and can take part in international organizations. Employment areas are expanding according to the area of specialization, for example, graduates specializing in international security can work in military positions. Again, according to their specialization, many graduates can be employed in the private sector in areas such as international banking, finance, sales, and marketing.