Political Science and International Relations doctoral program with thesis aims to provide students with a solid theoretical and methodological background in the field of global politics and to deepen their academic formations within this framework. Within the scope of the program, it is aimed that students will have the ability to examine social, political, and economic processes in depth and to make global system analyzes in this direction so that they can make sense of global relations. The goal of the program is to train experts in political science and international relations for both the bureaucracy and the private sector.
The proposed program consists of seven courses, qualification exam, one seminar course, and thesis with a total of 21 credits (240 ECTS). Two of the seven courses offered within the program are compulsory and the other five are electives.
On completion of the programme the student will be able to:
1) To examine knowledge and skills acquired with understanding the interaction between other disciplines in the interdisciplinary dimension.
2) Have the social, scientific, and ethical values under any circumstances related to the field of International Relations and Politics in data collection, interpretation, and dissemination stages.
3) Have the knowledge of the political, economic, and juridical foundation of the state.
4) To develop and deepen the information level of expertise Ph.D. Degree on the basis of qualifications at the Political Science and International Relations Program.
5) Have a critical perspective on concepts, arguments, and current issues.
6) To examine and evaluate countries and regions at the international level which are embedded in practical and theoretical knowledge.
7) Evaluated to be critical of a variety of security issues, strategies, and practical consequences in the international arena.
8) Have a good formation of the social sciences.
9) Have the knowledge of the nation state to the present day about geographical, institutional, structural, conceptual, and theoretical development of the international relations.
10) Have the knowledge of foreign policy formation and decision-making process.
Course assessment usually comprises of a comprehensive final exam and continuous assessment. Continuous assessment can include amongst others, mid-terms, projects, and class participation.
Letter grades are calculated based on the weight of the final exam and the continuous assessment and the actual numerical marks obtained in these two assessment components. Based on the course grades the student’s semester grade point average (GPA) and cumulative point average (CPA) are calculated.
To graduate students must have at least 21 credits (240 ECTS), as well as successfully complete their seminar, qualification exam, and thesis studies. Students are required to be successful with at least a “B” grade from all the courses prescribed in the doctoral program. To complete the program, students must successfully pass the qualification exam by the end of the sixth semester. For the thesis jury to be appointed, the candidate must have published an article in a journal scanned by SCI, SSCI or AHCI in the field related to the doctoral thesis, or at least one publication accepted for publication (YODAK, 2901.2007, Circular No: 1 1f). To graduate from this program, they are required to have a GPA of at least 3.00 out of 4.00.
Situated in the Alayköy Campus, a central and picturesque area of Nicosia, the Department of Political Science and International Relations aims to provide the perfect studying environment for students with many extra-curricular activities and present the chance to study in the fields mentioned above by a highly skilled staff. The students also find the opportunity to regularly interact with politicians, experts from think tanks, NGOs, journalists, and advisors by helping out and attending in the many conferences and events the department organises. In a very heterogeneous, multicultural, and globally mixed student environment the department aims to enhance the learning process for prospective students.
The application process for studying Political Science and International Relations at BAU Cyprus is very easy. You can simply and safely share your personal information through our online application platform. After receiving a confirmation email with a link a copy of the following documents can be uploaded:
Potential professional environments include:
Graduates of the program can pursue an academic career or a career in the field of diplomacy, they can work in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the countries of which they are citizens. Graduates who want to advance in the field of bureaucracy can work in other government departments in positions that require expertise in political science or international relations. Apart from that, the graduates can work in the United Nations, Amnesty International etc. and can take part in international organizations. Employment areas are expanding according to the area of specialization, for example, graduates specializing in international security can work in military positions.